Saturday, August 9, 2014

THOMASIAN STORY: A Hanging Reminder


A HANGING REMINDER
by Gino C. Gonzalez, RN, MD
A Thomasian Before Birth

"It's yellow, it's gold, it's black. 
It's tough, it's reversible, it's tasteful fashion.
It's the Neocentennial lanyard!"

Each and every one of us is distinct, and that's already stating the obvious. Our differences make the breath and spirits of human life extremely vibrant, giving us the opportunity to fill in the gaps in the lives of others. We are entitled to possess an innate quality which makes us exceptionally precious in our own way. We may do things the same manner, but nonetheless, the motives may be different. That makes up our individuality. Anyone can wear this lanyard; but the reason behind it, one can only guess. There are tons of reasons to strap this band around one's neck.

My reason is simple. I wear this because I am a Thomasian.

It is with humility aside that I confidently declare that people very well know where I've studied; Many may have heard me say that the role of 'my' alma mater "predates my existence" and thus, I have claimed myself nothing less than "FULL-BLOODED".

My paternal grandparents pursued higher education here. Lolo, from the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, was at that time a medical intern at Dr. Jose Reyes Memorial Hospital. Lola was a student completing her Education degree at the College of Education. Lolo's siblings were mostly from the same school, too. So, he and lola met through their siblings who were at that time residing somewhere along the campus (I presume). They eventually got married and raised six children of upright character. All Thomasians.

Only Lolo's firstborn son (my father) went on to follow his footsteps, pursued all higher education here and eventually completing his academic requirements to become a physician. During the residency of that then young physician (at the USTH), he met this pretty fourth year medical student, who coincidentally had all her siblings studying in various colleges here as well. They eventually got married and raised three male children of (upright?) character. All Thomasians.

Again, only the firstborn has gone to follow the footsteps of his dad, and that's me. I pursued higher education in this university and, after years of study, I also became a Thomasian physician like my parents, my grandparents, my grand aunts and grand uncles, my aunts and uncles. During my med school days, I met this lovely girl and... (To be continued when this comes true)... But I'm sure that I will eventually marry and raise two male children of (upright?) character. All Thomasians.



It was at the fourth floor of the University Hospital where I gasped my first breath of Thomasian air, pulled out from the uterus by the very capable hands of my own father. It was in the grand altar of the Santísimo Rosario Parish where I was initiated into Christianhood. The open spaces of the grandstand were mine to explore during my childhood weekends. Heck, even my biblical covenant to the rite of manhood was performed at the USTH-OPD.

The University of Santo Tomas bestowed upon me five graduation diplomas.

You name it and there was a huge possibility that it happened to me in UST: I had my first crush when I was in grade two, a mestiza right across my seat. I had my first heartbreak from a chinita girl that I met in High School. I found keeper friends. During my PE class in Nursing, I met a girl who would eventually be my first romance. In medical school, I had opportunities to develop talents and form a strong but small network of friends. During internship, I almost fell for a medical clerk (post-breakup). A series of hang-out sessions with various girls then followed. All from, or in UST.

If there are lessons that stuck, those have come from either my parents during my upbringing or from the education that I have received from UST. My identity is the fusion of factors that encompass the personality mix of my parents (good and/or bad), the values and principles that have been taught by my parents (and mostly Thomasian relatives) and my teachers/professors, and to a minority, the circumstantial events during my youth. A huge emphasis on faith, charity, and prayer was instituted early on by my family at home and reinforced by my educators in school. Respect for all creation, service to humankind, unconditional love... all were given paramount importance.

Modern living is such a challenge. It is easy to lose focus on the little things that are truly important. Day-to-day life scenarios in this age have made it harder to thrive simply and saintly. Adapt, lest you lose your place in the tree of society. Some succumb to keep their pace, despite inherent goodness (like Valjean stealing a loaf of bread for a sick nephew, Robin Hood stealing from the rich to give to the poor, among others). No one is exempt. Rarely are there martyrs nowadays. Like everyone, I am confronted with these trials on a daily basis. Some of my decisions are something that I cannot be proud of, especially regarding the provision of needs to patients.

I am a Thomasian. That is why I wear this lace.
 
One of my best moments was when Rev. Fr. Rolando dela Rosa, OP hugged me on stage. This was during the Quadricentennial year.

Sometimes, in the abundance of perspectives and circumstances around me, my principles, beliefs, and values are strongly challenged. There are times when I lose faith and spirituality. And during those moments, I just simply look upon my reflection in the mirror and see myself wearing this... then, I am reminded of my identity. That to the best that I can, I will perform my duty to uphold life, as it is a gift for the fruition of the divine plan. (Whilst there are procedures I will never perform, there are some that 'I ought to tolerate'. I have made a deal with the Big Guy upstairs: Only during training.)... Thomasian identity.

Sometimes, in the midst of physical and emotional fatigue, I forget who I really am. I forget my child-like promise to be kind to nurses, clerks, interns, and patients. I am reminded that whenever I face someone while wearing this lace, I make my Thomasian identity known, and everything that is seen or heard will give the impression of that identity. This should always inspire me to give my alma mater a good name. More importantly, that it is unjust to shout, unreasonably scold, mock, or express sarcasm to those people who teach me this art of medicine and how to teach it in return. Good bedside manners have been imperative during my years of medical instruction, and a right we should give to every patient... Compassion.

Sometimes, burn-outs take away the time needed to develop knowledge and skills-set required to become a well-trained and well-educated clinician. I am reminded that when I doze off reading a book, take shortcuts, or sleep during lectures, I compromise my proficiency, and that I should strive to keep abreast with the dynamic practice of Medicine... Competence.

Sometimes, I lose hope. The fantasy of quitting the program lingers in my daily thoughts. Add to that, the severe homesickness.  But whenever I feel that heavy burden in my chest, I just look down to stare and see this lace near my heart. The thought that all these sacrifices will be worth it all when I come back home to my alma mater keeps me motivated and this remains to be one of the few real reasons why I can still wear a smile.

The dream then becomes so clear teaching at St. Martin de Porres Building and healing at the Benavides Cancer Institute... Commitment.

Who I am, who I want to be, who I will be, are all metaphorically packed in this woven polyester band A broad picture of a true Thomasian physician.

Addendum:
I am now a resident physician in Obstetrics and Gynecology in a government hospital across the Pasig River, and I am aspiring to take up Gynecologic Cancer Surgery afterwards. When I applied, I was honest in telling them that my intention for training is to come back to UST to teach and practice my profession. We need more Oncologists.

No comments:

Post a Comment